Thursday, February 05, 2009

It's a Vicious Circle

Sometimes I read things that totally click in my head. Katie P found this article for me. Word for word it is where I am at.

Some studies suggest that in some people, the addictive nature of adrenal stress causes a euphoric feeling (an addiction to overtraining and under eating). Fear is certainly another driving point, and something that's as involved as a stress emotion.

For whatever reason, these people continually ignore the sane requests of their bodies. In response, thyroid function drops lower and lower, and they start bringing in more stress response signals. Not that this doesn't involve the thyroid, but you have really brought in some new hormonal players which you will read about in the adrenal section.

The professional dieter spends the majority of his or her time in some sort of a cutting or fat loss phase, and is constantly trying to live in a deficit. They eat too few calories, and usually have over-trained their bodies. These are the people who feel a compulsive need to exercise to "maintain" their fat loss.

They spend years training, and trying different carb intakes, lifting techniques, and fat loss protocols. They've read every book, every blog, followed along with everything that people on TV tell them to do, and usually end up stunted right where they started or heavier. Rarely do they achieve their goals.

The big problem comes in when we look at your caloric expenditure and burn. For the few of you that have been diligent enough to stick to this kind of training level, you have taken things to a new level of dysfunction. It's an actual physical and mental addiction.


I really don't know how to fix this. I need to break the cycle - I can eat more, but I'll train more to compensate because I feel like I "have to". As I said yesterday, I need to engage my 'team of professionals' - nutritionist is already booked in for Saturday. As much as I "talk" here about what is inside my head on my blog, I don't really talk about it with Rusty or any of the others like this. I usually have some sort of solution and ask "what do you think". I don't do the deep and meaningful stuff so much - especially when I am sooky sooky la la (potential tears) like I am today. I don't do vulnerability very well at all. I feel tense, anxious, frustrated and I can't control the feelings. Normally I would go for a run and clear my head to relax.... see there's that cycle again. I wish my mum lived close... I would visit and discuss over a cup of tea. Don't really feel like talking on the phone.

3 comments:

LizN said...

Hi Em,

I believe that why you're stalled has everything to do with what is in your mind rather than what is going on with the body. The body will not let go of the weight until your mind gives it permission to. You may not need a nutritionist but may actually benefit more from a psychologist or life coach.

Cheers
Liz N

KatieP said...

If you ever want to talk to a complete stranger over a coffee or green tea - let me know and I'll be there.
xxx

KJ Photography said...

Feel free to give me a buzz anytime - I'm only a drive / train trip away!! :)

But I've found out in the last couple of weeks that in any situation, you've got to make your feelings known - so perhaps talking to other people about the D&M stuff is what you need to do. I tell my PT heaps of stuff - and often he has some great ideas to help, not just with health, but with life in general.

And since I've worked as a PT, I've found that we're very much psychologists as well as trainers - my clients work through lots of things that way. :)