Thursday, February 12, 2009

Top 5 Things Given Up in Order to Lose Fat

Another interesting question by the fabulous Katie P. Funny thing is that I don't MISS any of these things - they are all things I am happy to sacrifice for my mission of fat loss.

1. Calories - 2.5 years ago you could have seen me consume a day's worth of calories in one meal - McD's or something equally disgusting. Now I couldn't think of anything worse - I hate how eating like that makes me feel. One night of stodgy or sugary food gives me a food hangover the next day. So not worth it.

2. Money - I see it in an investment in myself, but I spend a fortune on my health and fitness mission: gym membership, 3 x PT sessions a week, osteo at least once a month, nutritionist/naturopath/counselling/massage (that is just one person... she's fabulous!), gym clothes, sports bras, running shoes and then of course the entirely new wardrobe when nothing fits anymore.

3. Time - I train almost every day, usually for an hour. I plan and then log my food, blog, record all my exercise and of course analyse all the data afterwards. I read alot - books, magazines and blogs.

4. Social Life - As I train at 6am, I'm usually in bed somewhere between 8.30 and 9.30pm. I train Saturday mornings, so don't go out Friday night, and I run on Sundays so that usually means an early Saturday night, or at least no drinking. What I have found myself doing is surrounding myself with people who have similar lifestyles and goals as me. We go out for breakfast instead of the pub at night - usually after a run or training session. Or we plan a big walk around stopping for a coffee somewhere nice. My close friends are all from the gym - either personal trainers or clients of personal trainers. That wasn't a conscious decision... it just happened that way!

5. Career as Priority - I used to work 12 hour days as standard, sometimes longer. I used to be contactable 24/7 and if something came up at work I would drop everything to be there. Now I train in the mornings before work, and if I have a class or something to get to after work I always go. Work can wait. I will do my best between 8.30 and 5.30pm, but I don't stay after 6pm.

No comments: