Wednesday, January 07, 2009

When the body packs it in

The one thing that really frustrates me on this journey, is when you finally have your head in the right place - ie. training well AND eating well, and your body decides it doesn't want to play anymore. I find getting the head right in regards to nutrition is the hardest part - I love my training and 9 times out of 10 I get out of bed at 5.30am to either train at the gym or run. If I do decide to sleep in, I run after work.

About a year ago I saw a nutritionist as every time I increased my training - either intensity or to the occasional twice a day, I would get sick. Usually just a head cold - but it happened continuously. A multivitamin and some minerals sorted me out.

This time it is my legs - primarily my left leg. I tore my hamstring mid last year which turned out to be a side effect of the hip displasia that I was born with. I have been seeing an osteo regularly since about September last year and haven't had any ongoing problems - he frees up the movement in my hips and lower back and it sorts it out. Until now. This week my hamstring is sore again, and so is my knee. I haven't been for a run since last Friday - instead I've done plenty of cross trainer and bike. I have another appt with the osteo tonight to put me back together again. I wonder if I will have to do this for the rest of my life? It frustrates me because I would really like to improve my running and push through until I actually enjoy it. Every time I think I am getting closer to that point the body packs it in.

On a more positive note, my cardio fitness has improved over the past 12 months. I am beating all my records on the cross trainer and rower. More focus on weights needed - I am not lifting as heavy as I was last year.

No comments: