Monday, July 21, 2008

Now that I'm fit...

The wonderful Lisa has got me thinking about the impact losing weight has on your life - in ways you didn't expect. Actually it is good timing, because it is exactly 2 years ago this week that I first walked into Fitness First and met my personal trainer.

I am a different person to what I was 2 years ago. I am 30kg lighter, I am fit, I am strong, I am a runner, I lift weights and I love it. I have a new interest in clothes, shoes and looking my best - I take pride in my appearance. I am not afraid to try new things - I ride my bike to and from the gym, I go rock climbing, I walk or run with my friends. I eat in public without the fear that someone is looking at me thinking - no wonder she is fat if she eats that.

Some of my friends have seen me go through this transition. They might not think of the old me anymore, but they know where I have come from. Others I have only met in the last 6-12 months - and they have no idea! It is not something I talk about openly to people I don't know very well. What they know of me is someone who goes to the gym at 6am every morning, who runs on the weekends, who watches what she eats and who is usually in bed by 9pm because of the training. One of my "new" friends asked me on the weekend if I get results from personal training - the answer to that is yes! Her jaw dropped when I told her.

My new found fitness has had different effects on relationships though. Last year there was Irish boy. I don't really know what he was thinking as he never really said, but I get the impression that he was intimidated by my friends (from little things he said). He avoided meeting them at all costs - I met heaps of his friends but he didn't meet mine. My closest friends are either personal trainers or people who train with me, at the same intensity that I train. They are NORMAL people, but Irish boy didn't see it that way.

Then there is the girlfriends of my male friends. I have always had close male friends and always been able to get along really well with girlfriends/partners. Not so much anymore - I think I am more of a threat now. I certainly wasn't seen that way before.

Then there are the boys who I used to know, but haven't seen in ages (I moved from Melb to Syd 2 years ago). They are amazed at the transformation and are all of a sudden interested. I have mixed feelings about this - part of me hates the fact that they didn't see me for who I was underneath before, and part of me loves it! I still have my own issues here though. Alot of the people I meet are from the gym, or friends of people from the gym - they are fit! I still don't see myself as "good enough" - I think that I am aiming out of my league if I am interested in one of these guys. Something to work on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny how it all impacts on every single aspect of our lives?
Loving it though!

You hot thing you!!