Thursday, August 16, 2007

Assessments and a new plan

I did my assessments last night with Dan Dan the Trainer Man. I was a bit down that I had only lost 2.2kg in 6 weeks, but as he said, I shouldn't be. I have lost 3% body fat and a heap of centimetres, and I am heaps fitter. Becuase I am expecting more from myself we have devised a new plan for the next few weeks. 3 weeks til I go to Melbourne for my birthday, and I am on a mission!

I am only going to have banana bread once a week. I believe I have said that before, but I am going to try harder this time! I am going to keep a food diary and show him, so that if I am not happy with my results next time we can look closely at my diet. He also suggested I might like to see a nutritionist, because what I am eating generally is pretty good. But we'll try change the training a bit first and see if that boosts me along again.

He said that doing my long runs, whilst good for my fitness, are not helping with fat loss. After about 45 minutes of running, the benefits taper off - I keep running but I am reducing the amount of fat being burnt. So I am reducing my running and increasing my weights.

Here's the plan:
Monday - 45 min running - tempo or interval work
Tuesday - weights/intervals PT Dan
Wednesday - cycle/RPM class
Thursday - weights PT Dan
Friday - running group PT Rusty
Saturday - walking and yoga class or weights PT Dan
Sunday - rest

So there it is. Last night I weighed in at 81.4kg. Let's see how much difference this plan makes.

2 comments:

Leanne said...

Its great to see someone else with an exercise plan too. And how awesome that you did the city to surf. I'm planning to do the Adelaide City to Bay in a few weeks as a walker (I don't run), and I look forward to feeling a great sense of achievement from it.

Good luck with trying to boost the weight loss... I'll pop in a see how you are going!

Lisa said...

Hi Em
Unfortunately I have to beg to differ with your PT about fat loss and running! "After 60 minutes fat release is 5 times higher than at rest. After 120 mins fat released is 6.4 times higher and reaches 7.0 times by 210 minutes." (Fit Australia Issue 98 p 36). The big push in this article is to go beyond the 60 min mark as the percentage of fat burn increases signifcantly. And I read this over and over again - everywhere I look. Fat burn in the first 20 mins is negligible as the body burns readily available carbs, then slowly switches over to utilising more and more fat. Sorry, I know you love your PT, and he's obvoiusly doing a terrific job, but I feel compelled to challenge this view!
Over and out!