Wednesday, August 08, 2007

To Half or Not to Half


I wasn't going to EVER consider doing a half marathon. But now I am thanks to Cath, Kate, Anita, Donna, Rusty.... the list goes on! As has been pointed out by my ever encouraging friends, the half marathon is only 5km longer than my longest run (16km) - which sounds like alot less than saying 21km. It is 6 weeks away - can I train hard for another 6 weeks so I can make it in the allocated time? Probably. Actually I could probably do it in the allocated time now - you need to average 8min/km. I am planning to do City2Surf in 7min10sec/km. Another 6 weeks of training, and I should be able to maintain that pace for 21km. Maybe? God that sounds like a long way!

Here's what else is going through my head. I have been training full on 5-6 days a week since mid April. I am ready for some time out. Maybe I take it easy next week and that will be enough rest? I've also got my birthday weekend 7/8/9 September for which I am boycotting all exercise unless it is walking around the shops/to the pub/on the dance floor. Hmmmm - that could do the trick.

I also need a new goal after City2Surf as I am concious of my need for a goal with a defined and measurable outcome (can you tell I've done managment courses?!!). Until this afternoon I had no idea what that would be. Well, except for the obvious - get to goal weight! But I need to focus on something other than the scales. I already have my fitness age for strength and cardio down to 18. I need to improve my flexibility. Not that running helps with that though! In fact the opposite. Perhaps it could be the half marathon after all....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes yes yes you can do this, its just a matter of if u want to babe! :)

x

KJ Photography said...

AHA! Now it's in your head, it will never leave... :)

After the Blackmores run, there aren't any big events until NEXT year's SMH Half Marathon (which you WILL be doing) in May... running season is almost over for 2007, so you COULD call this your pinnacle event... :)

Gee, I'm trying, aren't I??