Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Responsibility

This is something I have known for a while, but only really thought about it yesterday. I am 100% responsible for my results. Me. Nobody else. Nobody else can do this for me.

For the first 10 months of my journey I had a PT who I had a really close (platonic) relationship with. We spoke every day, saw each other most days. We would often go out for a few drinks on the weekend and end up with what I called "counselling" sessions. He said I helped him as much as he helped me, but I didn't believe that. He knew me better than anyone - he saw things in me that I didn't want people to see, things that I didn't want to see in myself. He started seeing someone, and while I didn't see as much of him, at first our relationship didn't change. He was still my PT, and we had the occasional coffee or out of gym catch up. But then he quit personal training and left the gym. Insert devastation, stress, fear here! I didn't think that I could do it on my own. I gave him all the credit for the weight I had lost so far. I gave him credit for my motivation and everything that I had achieved to date.

But you know what... it was actually the best thing that could have happened. Because I made a concious effort not to go back to the person I was before. I didn't miss a PT session - I just got myself (two) new PTs. It helped that they were already friends and knew where I came from and where I was going - that made the transition easy. But it all made me realise that I am responsible for everything that I achieve.

I often talk about the chocolate box and pantry at work. Yes it is all there, and very convenient... it is even free, but I don't have to eat it. That is my choice (someone please remind me of this post next time I require chocolate!)

There are many people in my life who encourage me, who influence me and who inspire me - but I CHOOSE to surround myself with these people. I choose how to react to these people and the situations around me. I am 100% responsible for what I achieve.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Go Girlfriend!! Love your work Em!
XXX

Dylan said...

i love this post
the good is you, the excellent is you and the less that good is also you and the choices that you made.

You are doing so so so so so good chickee
keep it up

MISS PINKY said...

This is so true!!!

I spend so much time wishing I was one of those "naturally thin" people and I get really angry that I am not. I hate to face the cold hard truth that the only person who can make me lose weight is ME!! My weight is nobody else's "fault" but my own.

Your dedication to your fitness is really inspiring!!

Miss Pinky

Anonymous said...

Well said

Anonymous said...

Hi gorgeous!
I love this post.... spot on!!
Mwah xxxx