Friday, November 07, 2008

Running

Have I mentioned how much I hate running? Probably a million times. I just can't seem to get to the point where I enjoy it - I keep thinking that I will, but it doesn't happen. I do love the sense of achievement and the old 'runners high' afterwards, but I loathe and detest every second that I am actually running.

This morning I thought I was doing 400m on level 10. Achievable. But when I got there, Rusty made me keep going to 800m... without dropping the pace. My head was at 400m, definitely not at 800m and all I wanted to do was get off the treadmill. I honestly thought I couldn't do it, and there was very nearly tears. He stood beside me and talked to me while I ran. All along the lines of 'you need to push through the pain... I know it hurts, but it is what you need to do to get faster and to get the results you want... you can do this, it is all in your head, your body is capable'. I think that is where the tears were (nearly) about to come from. He believes in me more than I believe in me.

On another note, I did a 30 min run outside last night. My HR got to 201... 107% of my max. WTF!!! Clearly the old 220-your age calculation is not very accurate.... or I am superwoman :) I am happy that I managed to push myself to that point though... Rusty wasn't even there!

2 comments:

MISS PINKY said...

I am going to offer some advice that totally contradicts what Rusty has said about "pushing through" and I am sure others may disagree with me too...A couple of weeks ago I injured my hip and have been "out" of running basically since then. I now have to run at a much slower pace than I am used to in order to allow my injury to fully heal. Ordinarily I run about a 6min K and I am now at about a 7.5-8min K. Guess what?? It is soooooo much easier and more pleasant. I can breathe, I don't feel like I am on death's doorstep and I am not panting like a labrador. I used to think I could only run at one pace and now being forced to operate at a lower intensity, I find I actually like it a whole lot more. I think I prefer running slower and having a more positive experience than going a bit harder and hating every second. Just my "2 cents worth".
Cheers! :-)

emharvie said...

It is so hard to know! Rusty says I need to push myself harder in order to get more results (ie. fat burning). He doesn't push me to the point of injury - it's not really that kind of pain. However how does he know that???!!! I don't know!