Last night I went to see a career counsellor at the AIF about becoming a personal trainer. It is something I have been thinking about for a while. I came out super excited about making a career change and learning new things.
I've been bored in my current career for about 2 years. I've been in the same industry (design/print) for 12 years. I have changed jobs 3 times in that time in an effort to determine if it is what I do, the company I work for, or just me that is bored. I have come to the conclusion that it is me - or at least what I do. I've dabbled in web design, production management and account management as well as being a hands-on designer. I've worked in trade and agency, for small and large companies. Every time I've changed companies, I get the "well, you certainly won't be bored here"... but I am. I am pretty efficient at what I do and am used to multi-tasking and having a million things on the go at once - but when I don't have a million things happening I am bored. I can't just cruise through my day... I hate that! I am someone who has always been able to do something I love... I don't love it anymore.
Apart from the boredom, I also feel I need to do something more worthwhile on a moral or ethical level. I'm a bit over the commercialism of what I do without making some sort of contribution to society. In my industry there is a big shift to environmentally friendly/carbon neutral papers and printing methods. Definitely something of interest, and one of the reasons why I took my current job... but it is not enough.
While career changes are common and considered relatively easy in today's society, I've found it is not quite as easy as I first thought. A complete career change involves a time and financial investment - both of which are in short supply at the moment. My day at the moment is:
5.15am get up
6.00am at the gym and training
7.05am bus home from the gym & breakfast
8.10am leave for work
5.45pm home from work
6.00pm leave home - walk to the gym
7.30pm home from the gym
8.00pm shower, dinner
9.00-9.30pm bed
So you can see there is not alot of spare time there! I don't train twice a day every day - I sometimes swap the afternoon session for dinner with a friend or something - but that is to stop me going insane during the week and is not going to change.
So whatever I choose has to be something I am passionate about. It also needs to be something that can generate an income comparative to what I earn now. My two options are personal training and nutrition. It is what I live and breathe every day - I love it, I live it and spend any downtime at work reading about it.
After my meeting last night I was super excited, motivated and ready to go (the girl I saw did her job really well!). I was even considering postponing my BR surgery until after my course was complete. But, this morning reality hit. A) I can't afford to pay for both surgery and the course at the same time. B) My journey isn't complete until I have had my BR
This morning I caught a glimpse of me running in a mirror and I felt a wave of disappointment rush through my body. It was an actual physical feeling. My boobs are massive - uncomfortable and out of proportion. I can't possibly start this new phase of my life until I've finished my current journey. I need to get to my goal weight and have my BR before I start something else. I walked into the gym feeling fabulous and walked out feeling the lowest of low.
So I am going to be a personal trainer, but just not yet. I've got things to do first. So here's my goals for the next 12 months:
1) Get to goal weight by April 2009
2) Find a flatmate so I can start saving more money (by December 2008)
3) BR surgery April 2009
4) Start PT course end April 2009
5) Qualified master trainer by September 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
"I can't possibly start this new phase of my life until I've finished my current journey. I need to get to my goal weight and have my BR before I start something else."
Why is this so Miss Emma? If you could afford to, would you go for it right now?
I believe that if you are passionate and excited about something you shouldn't put it off. Who know what tomorrow will bring? We only have right now to make a difference.
Must you absolutely wait until you look the way you want before you embark on a new and challenging part of your life that will give you purpose and meaning? Doing what you love right now could even make completing your current "journey" so much easier and enjoyable.
Of course, I'm not in your shoes so I am not telling you what to do. I am just trying to offer a different perspective. Remember, I'm the one who got the body of her dreams and discovered it was mostly as huge disappointment ;)
Are you doing a spin class at Mosman on the weekend? I'd love to join you and we could do coffee after?
xxx
Post a Comment