Thursday, August 17, 2006

How did I get here?

One of the very friendly people on the WW boards asked a question today that really made me think about where I am and what I am doing. Here's my response.....

********
My main focus in life for the past 5 years has been my career. I loved my job and it somehow became my life. I was eating up to 3 meals a day at work (very, very long hours).

Lunch, and sometimes even dinner was whatever everyone else was having cause I didn't have time to leave the office. It usually involved takeaway, or if I didn't have time for that, vegemite on toast.

I tend to eat when I am stressed. So add in chips or chocolate every time I stopped for petrol or someone at work was sharing.

I would occasionally walk on the weekends, but apart from that there was very little excercise. It was dark when I went to work, and dark when I left.

Looking at this, it is not really surprising that I am here. Realisation hit me about 6 months ago – I had had enough. It took me another 3 months to sort myself out because it was a massive mind shift from "career, career, career" to "there is more to life than this".

I have accepted a new position at work (same company, but different location). Not really a promotion, but the pay is the same so I can deal with that! I now work a normal 40 hour week with little or no stress. I eat healthily, and with all my newfound spare time I am going to the gym and walking. I even walk to work cause I live closer.
********

I think that acknowledging why I ended up so overweight is part of the healing process. Onwards and upward from here! (And I'm not going back to my old job, no matter what).
Enough of the deep and meaningful stuff xoxox

No comments: