Friday, June 27, 2008

Running

Another question for fellow runners out there - does anyone know any good techniques to get breathing under control? I have to try really really hard to control my breathing when I pick up pace - my breathing ends up pretty shallow and fast, and then I start to feel sick. I'm OK on my long runs outside at what I consider my comfortable pace, but when I do intervals on the tready I really notice it. Can't imagine what the person next to me thinks!!!

Any tips or resources would be much appreciated.

3 comments:

MISS PINKY said...

I just found that my breathing got better the more running I did. Now I don't even notice my breathing anymore but when I first started that is all I could focus on.

For a more specific answer, go onto coolrunning.com.au

This is a fantastic site for runners....you can ask anything and experienced runners will reply very quickly.

gypsy77 said...

Like miss pinky, I really think it gets better with time.I cant even remember when my breathing got easier, probably after 6mths or so?

I feel my breathing is very controlled now. Every now and then, I take a big, deep breath in and I spose hold for a couple of secs....I'm not sure, I haven't actually thought about it too much till now!!!

It will get easier, and don't worry about others around you..they are probably wishing they could go as hard as you!!!!

Lisa said...

Yep - here's my tip -


Run slower or shorter

If you are breathing so hard that you are feeling sick - its a sign of a good workout from an interval perspective - but you should only be feeling this towards the end of the session

When I do hill or speed intervals - if its an all out short sprint - ie 20 - 30 secs I go for broke and have to breathe really hard - but thats the aim. When it starts to get erratic and you are gasping for air - you are probably not ready for that intensity - drop it back. As long as you are making yourself breathe much harder than on a normal run - you will be increasing your aerobic capacity for next time and it will get easier. Then of course, you need to up it again.