This time last year I had commenced my seemingly unachievable mega training plan for City2Surf. I had just started running, could do about 3km "comfortably", and run/walk 5km. In about 2 months I got up to running 16km, with only a short break at the 8km mark. No walking. It was a slow 16km, but I did it - and a massive achievement for me.
Race day was not as great as I planned - I did it in 148 minutes, had to walk alot of heartbreak hill, and I managed to dehydrate myself so struggled and then felt sick after. Lesson learnt - drink lots BEFORE you run. Don't worry about toilet breaks - if you have to go, you have to go!
So it is time to put that training plan into place again. I am in a much better starting position - I do 5km regularly, and could probably do 10km if I put my mind to it. I haven't been doing any longer runs cause they don't help me with my number one goal which is fat loss. Tonight I am going home to dig out that training plan, adjust accordingly and write it all in my diary.
This week I have made a turnaround in my eating. I had been really really lazy, and really really bad. No planning, no healthy snacks in the house, too much chocolate, chips, alcohol. I was feeling pretty ordinary - both physically and mentally. Sunday night saw me back on CK planning my meals, writing a shopping list and going to the supermarket. I know how to do this - I've done it before. I just needed to give myself a good kick in the arse! I had forgotten how good my fav snack is - fresh berries, low fat yogurt mixed with protein powder and crunchola. Yum!
Have been training like a demon this week. Monday was a treadmill cardio session - walking inclines alternated with jogging. Tuesday boxing PT session in the AM, rock climbing in the PM. Today was a PT session - cardio & weights.
I have read on some blogs about people using Cardio Coach and other podcasts etc for their cardio sessions. Anyone have any good recommendations? I want to put something on my ipod that will keep me on the treadmill when it is too cold and dark to run outside - I need someone in my ear!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Wow Em, C2S again! When you dig out the training guide you'll know exactly what to do and be running consistently before you know it! I've decided against C2S because of logistics with care for my 2 little girls and me needing support at the other end, just couldn't do it this year.
Tried a protein drink this afternoon after my weights. It was yummy, but time will tell.
Good luck, happy training, Esstarr
Hi Em
I can't go past Cardiocoach - I just love it. I used it for exactly the reason you spoke about last night - I didn't get up in time for my early morning run (and its too cold) and I don't run in the dark in the evening - so it was cardiocoach for me on the tready. However cardiocoach is all interval training (speed and hills). It keeps you motivated and makes you push yourself but it wont replace a proper distance run.
Hi Em
Have you tried Ladybird crunch with your yoghurt fruit and crunchola. It is my favourite snack and the Ladybird crunch is crunchy protein powder - YUM
I agree with Lisa about Cardio Coach. Love it but it is intervals.
Podrunner has constant BPM tracks which I use for steady state running but no words of encouragement.
xxx
Post a Comment