Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Continuous learning

I have been on my health and fitness mission for about 18 months now. I have had an allergy to salicylates for about 7 years - and yet, today I learn something new!

Did anyone see on TV last night (it was either ACA or Today Tonight - I was flicking) the thing on preservatives, additives and flavours in food? It was mainly about kids at school and their behaviour, but I learnt something I didn't know before. Preservative 211 is a benzoate. Benzoates contain salicylates... and I'm allergic to them. THEY ARE IN DIET COKE!!! I have been trying to give up Diet Coke for the last month, but it isn't going so well. It is free in the fridge at work, and because it is there I think I should have it. I don't have the same problem with food, but for some reason I have always seen Diet Coke as something I can have, even though I know it is bad for you.

Anyway, I now have a really good reason to stop drinking Diet Coke.

I try to eat clean 90% of the time, so I don't have many preservatives in my diet at all. However I undo all this good work with Diet Coke a few times a week. Speaking of eating clean, there's a lady who writes for Oxygen mag who has a book - 'The Eat Clean Diet' - Tosca Reno. I am going to see if the local bookshop has it, if not, I am going to order it online. Should prove interesting reading. She also has cook books out.

Also, an update on the BR. I am even more motivated to get it done now that I have seen Tiny Donna's fabulous results (go Donna!) but I don't have the money yet. Hopefully by mid next year I can have it done.

So here's my health and fitness goals for 2008...
1. Go Diet Coke free
2. Get to goal weight
3. Get my boobs reduced and realigned to where they are meant to be!
4. Run City to Surf, including Heartbreak Hill
5. Run City to Surf in under 1hr 45 min
6. Go back to drinking only once a month
7. Train on average 6 days a week
8. Eat clean 90% of the time
9. Only have 1 cheat meal a week
10. Recuce my PT to 2 sessions a week, and train more effectively on my own

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw that item on TV last night. Its pretty scary the stuff thats in food and the lack of testing thats done on cells before we start to consume it.

I had to kick diet coke as well. I was allergic to the aspartame in it. Made my skin ache and itch and my eyes burn. Felt better within 48 hours of stopping it.

Your goals for 2008 sound great.

Esstarr said...

Hi Em, I found you from Tiny Donna's blog. I've been a bit of a lurker, but this post is so great I have to say "hi". I am also allergic to salicylates. And I'm vegetarian. Try that in most restuarants. "Does your one vego option contain capsicum?". Invariably yes. Anyway, I love your goals for 2008. I too am going to attempt the C2S. And after tinyd I will also investigate the BR thing. (Donna & I were the same size). Nice to meet you, Es.

Anonymous said...

shit hey.... i cant believe that!! you might find huge losses if you give up the diet coke!

i gave up zero for a week after my op, i have started drinking it today (oops) but i was down 3kgs. i think i will stop it again.

xox

can't wait to see you babe! x

Lisa said...

Hi Em
Tosca Reno is my hero... she lost a lot of weight to get where she is, and looks fabulous at 40+.
I have her Eat Clean book as well as her "Butt Book". I ordered the eat clean book off her website and she even signed it for me (you can ask for it, and she emailed me personally!) I'm not much of a "fan" type of person - but it did kinda touch me. Its a great resource to have.

Cheryl said...

Hey Sweetheart, I have just noticed that you have a link on your blog to my blog. How kind of you! Im a lurker most of the time...You have done so well and my god you have such a pretty face!! Ive been meaning to tell you for a while. I think your 2008 goals are great. I should make a list of my own..
Cheryl :)
PS: Arnt TD's boobs sensational???

Miss N said...

It's looking like a good plan! My major goal (apart from the shedding of 10 kilos) is the city to surf and the bridge to brisbane.. Good luck to you!

And thanks for linking my blog! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Em :)

I hope you had a wonderful xmas and all the best for 08! Hope it brings you lots lof love, fun and happy times :)

I enjoyed reading your blog last year and you are such a big inspiration to me!!! Is it ok if I ad you to my favs on my blog???

I have just got back on track after going a bit AWOL these last few months and have put my blog back in place
www.kiwi-ems.blogspot.com

Take care Em1 love Em2 x

Nic said...

hey Em!

Your goals sound great. You are definatly determined to get there. Yeah ditch the diet coke babe...you will definatly feel better for it!!

nicxx

Anonymous said...

HAPPY XMAS AND NEW YEARRRRRRR!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!!!