Monday, August 17, 2009

Training sessions

Yesterday at school we did a session on outdoor training. This included our coach putting us through a 1.5 hour outdoor PT session.

We went to a park in St Leonards, just near school and ran, boxed, jumped, hopped and did pushups, step ups, tricep dips and played ball games. I was loving every minute of it until we got to the sprints at the end. We lined up in 5 rows, and as the bell rang the people in the front line had to sprint to the marker - maybe 50m away and up a small hill. The lines were random, and I ended up running against 4 very fit boys. Not that I'm not fit, but I'm not fast... and I have short legs! Everybody was cheering me on, cause clearly I wasn't going to win. But it bought back memories of school sports days which I hated with a passion. Always last. Always the last to be picked for team sports. It was things like this that stopped me from exercising in the first place.

Yesterday, because I was training with awesome people I was able to suck it up. But I hated it. If anyone had asked me how I felt at the end of it there would have been tears.

It made me even more determined not to put any of my clients in the same situation. You can create competition in your sessions without having someone feel like a loser. When I run with Rusty we handicap our sessions so that he has to work hard to beat me, and I have to work hard to beat him. I'd rather a handicap at the start than running with the knowledge that I can't win.

5 comments:

Dylan said...

Wow you have gone from no blogging to super blogging.
I can totally relate but hey your out there doing it!! That is the main thing. I totally agree about creating competition i think you have to judge the individuals you are managing because some people thrive on competition and some will be demotivated by it.

Pitchies said...

Completely understand! There is something about sprinting that makes me truly miserable. Run 21.1km. No worries. Run 50m in a 'race' and feel all the old frustrations come rushing back. But I think it's great that you will never put clients in that situation ... I'd hire you. It's so hard to find a personal trainer who understands this stuff.

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for a while now & am delurking specifically to ask for some inside knowledge....I need to lose the 30kgs I have let accumulate over the past 2yrs since my 2nd baby. I'm thinking a gym but to be quite honest I don't know where to start. I'm really interested in your thoughts on what worked for you, what you wouldn't do again, what you would do instead etc. I would have emailed you but couldn't see any other way to contact you.

Lynn said...

Hey! I'm delurking as well - I totally agree about the sprints! I do a Sports conditioning class that does sprints at the front and if I'm with all boys (all superfit too) I feel defeated before I begin. I usually set the goal for them not to lap me (b/c we go back and forth), but it still sucks. Glad to have you back!

emharvie said...

Thanks ladies!

Helen my email is emh_1977@hotmail.com.... send me a message and I'll give you all the details

xx