Monday, August 24, 2009

Dealing with the emotional stuff

Friday... wow what a day. I went to sRafin for a kinesiology consultation. I had been speaking to one of my coaches at AIF about my own goals & training in the break one day, and he offered me a free consult with his wife who is a kinesiologist.

It was exactly what I needed, and I didn't even know it. She got right into the emotional/mental reasons why I haven't got to my goal weight yet, and looked at what is stopping me. I was in tears within minutes and all of this stuff came out of my subconscious... I didn't even realise I was thinking the way I was. My mind was thinking that it is safer to be the way I am now than to be at my goal weight. Sounds crazy, but the body won't allow you to do something if it doesn't think it is safe. My conscious mind can give me a million reasons for being at goal weight but obviously all the other crap was stressing me more.

Being at my goal weight had the fear of the unknown attached to it - how do I react to the attention from guys, what if I don't get the attention? 1.5 hours later I walked out actually believing that I am fabulous and that I can get to where I want to be. Whether or not I meet the guy of my dreams is not dependent on what I weigh.

I have all the tools to lose weight. I know what I should eat (and shouldn't eat) and I know how to train. For a while now I've had a massive problem with sugar and self sabotage. I want sugar (in the form of chocolate, cake, lollies... whatever really!), the more I deny myself, the more I want it. I attach all sorts of emotions to justify having some. And when I start I don't stop - I don't just have a couple of squares of chocolate, I eat the whole block. In the kinesiology session, she balanced my body to remove the whole good food vs bad food emotion. Food is fuel for the body. I can have the occasional treat and not beat myself up about it. Since Friday I haven't even thought about sugar foods - no internal dialogue as I pass the supermarket, nothing! I even passed up hot chips yesterday without hesitation.

As well as unlocking all these thoughts and retraining my brain to look at what I have achieved so far and give myself credit for it, she gave me some tools to keep working on it. Things to say, things to think about and tapping on some acupuncture points to release energy or to focus. Awesome stuff!

It is something I have needed to do for a while. I've tried every possible combination of nutrition and exercise, I have a PT, a nutritionist, have incorporated acupuncture, massage and yoga. Finally I've started to deal with the emotional side.

2 comments:

KJ Photography said...

Yay for you Emm!! I'm so happy for you!!

One of your phrases got me - as my trainer says: "You've got all the tools and the knowledge, just DO YOUR F***ING JOB."

He's a lot less eloquent than yourself. :)

Esstarr said...

Hi Em. Now that is the hard stuff. Good on you, Esstarr.