Hello! Anybody still there? It has been months and months since I last posted. I felt a need to deal with some things internally before putting it out for the world to see. In hindsight, I probably would have been better off blogging, but I shut down completely and didn't feel capable of dealing with my own thoughts.
It all started with what was probably just a passing comment for someone else, triggering a downward spiral in what I (in my own mind) would call depression. As much as I know I shouldn't give any credit to this statement, deep down I did. This is what someone who used to be my best friend said to me... "I see you've started your own PT business. I hope you don't mind me saying, but I wouldn't train with anyone who couldn't run up a hill faster than me, or at least look like they could. I know you've come a long way, but you've still got a LONG way to go before you look like a personal trainer"
I really didn't know what to say, and pretty much didn't say anything. Of course all the come-backs came to me after, my personal favourite being "well actually, my target market isn't skanky alcoholics who don't bathe so I should be fine"... that pretty much sums up why we're no longer friends, but that is a story for another day.
Over the next couple of months I lost all confidence in everything... my job, my PT, my appearance, my ability to do anything. I put on weight and I became a social hermit. I would look forward to going out, and when the time came completely freak out and be unable to leave the house. I forced myself to go to my gym Christmas Party (my favourite event of the xmas season) and lasted 2 hours - and that took all my will power. I missed a good friend's farewell before she moved back to Germany, I missed birthdays, I missed dinners with friends and all sorts of things. The thought of going to the gym when I didn't have a PT session terrified me. Once I got the courage up to go to yoga, and walked out when I saw the room was nearly full. I just couldn't cope. I even came out in a rash for weeks on end - an allergic reaction to foods which is triggered by stress.
I almost quit my job - firstly because I hated it, but secondly because I couldn't cope with any stress and thought that a month off would give me time to sort myself out.
So fast forward to late January, when I thought it was time to apologise to a couple of wonderful girlfriends for cancelling on them so often and explain where my head was at. That was the turning point - in order to do that I had to face what I was feeling.
Since then I have built up my PT sessions to 3-4 hours a week with more bookings every day (just booked in 12 more sessions yesterday). I am even getting referrals to fill in for other trainers. I have just signed up with an outdoor trainer to contract to her on a part time basis, with the long term plan to be full time, open a small studio and perhaps even have part ownership. Of course, that is a fair way down the track! I have lost weight - back to what I was in September. I have also spoken to my boss about my plans and will switch to part time mid March and she will look for a replacement for me.
I'm doing one-on-one PT sessions with a PT Manager at one of the Fitness Firsts in the city which is as much about me reaching my goals as it is about learning about being a PT in a gym environment (he's mentoring me), I've found a couple of training buddys so have someone else to train with almost every day of the week, and I'm doing a friend's boot camp once a week (again for my own goals and ideas for my own clients). I am motivated and happy with the world.
My fears of not looking like a personal trainer have subsided a bit – I've found being upfront and honest with my clients about my journey and my goals means they are comfortable with me - and even inspired. I've found something I am good at and am ready to make the switch to being a full time PT.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I know those comments - I've had the EXACT same one (hill comment and all) from the PT Manager at my own fitness first. It does hit you, no matter what you're "supposed" to feel.
But you look super fabulous, and you will absolutely SMASH it as a PT Emm - so don't let alcoholic skanks who don't bathe get you down!! (I loved that comment!)
K xoxo
I'm here.
I think you know I think you are amazing and am totally rocked to 'know' you.
I really cannot believe that someone would say that to you (or anyone for that matter) but yet I see from Katie's comment it does happen. Yuk.
you have come along way Em and you will continue to go along way. I have every faith in you.
So glad you lost the toxic former friend. You are a PT! You have sunk your heart and soul into this and besides, quite simply - YOU ROCK!
Working on a Sydders visit, and NO! you can not take me for a run.....but we can go and grab a cocktail :)
HI Em
so glad to see you blogging again i missed you!
Cannot believe someone would say that, how terrible for you.
It sounds like things have turned around for you, hope all keeps going in good directions.
Take care,
Jac
Hi Babe
You can be whatever you want to be and tell everyone else to go f*ck themselves!
Wasn't quite up to the drink today but we will do it soon.
♥
happy that your back and back on top of things. it really sucks when negative losers take the confidence out of awesome people. Just think you have the knowledge and experience of losing a shitload of weight and you can pass that on to your clients. a skinny pt who has always been skinny doesnt have that life experience they can only pass on what they have studied.
keep on being awesome chickee
I just came across your blog and really enjoy your honesty. Good reflection piece, I am certain many of us resonate with self defeat and triumph.
Post a Comment