Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Power Up!

A timely post from Liz has prompted me to put into practice what I was thinking about last night. Here's where I am at

- My weight is stable, but I want it to go down, down, down
- I increase my training and I get a cold (3rd one in 2 months)
- I followed a nutritionist's advice for approx. 2-3 months prior to surgery and saw minimal results for maximum effort
- I started following same advice again last week, and now I have cold number 3 (hopefully not SWINE!) and generally feel crap
- I don't enjoy eating to the nutritionist's plan
- The plan doesn't (in my opinion) give me sufficient energy to train as I would like
- When I "break plan" and treat myself it triggers a mini binge (ie. more chocolate/icecream/whatever than I had planned)

Given that I had surgery just 2 months ago, was back working within 10 days and back at the gym within 3 weeks I am probably expecting alot from my body. I am also super busy at work, studying part time and fitting in training 5-6 days a week, so my stress levels are elevated. I already know that my food allergy reactions are aggrevated by stress and lower my immune system's ability to cope. My immune system is compromised and needs to repair itself.

So here's my plan
- Having a day off training today, and probably tomorrow as well
- Eating clean, healthy low GI food. Including lots of fruit & veg, grains, nuts & seeds, low fat yogurt, multigrain pasta etc
- Eating at least 7 serves of fruit & veg a day
- Making sure my treats are low-med GI so as not to set off the rollercoaster
- Taking my fish oil/DHA every day

I'm going to POWER UP!

Starting July 6, I am going to follow this 4 week program. It was recommended to me by last night's coach for my first nutrition subject. She has followed it herself, and recommends it to her PT clients to get started. (BTW Lisa I'm studying at AIF)

3 comments:

Sherrie said...

You've inspired me Em- I signed up for the Jumpstart program as well! Hope you kick your virus soon x

Fifi said...

Hey there. I noticed you following my blog and just wanted to say HI!

Re your post..yeah, sometimes you just gotta listen to your body and ignore what everyone else says, even 'professionals'.

In my case, so many people told me that low carb was bad bad bad..but I've NEVER felt better. Just listening to ME.

Hope you feel better soon. Good luck with the new program.

Louise Wedgwood said...

It's so frustrating when you do some great, intense workouts, only to get sick afterwards as a result! I've learned the hard way that when I train too hard too often (especially if I do new stuff) I'm running the risk of a virus.

Your plan sounds great, especially all those veges. They're sure to keep you full and give you all the micronutrients needed for repair.